Monday, August 20, 2012

How can my baby possibly be thirteen months old?

I'm still struggling to believe it, but according to the calendar, my baby turned 13 months old yesterday.  It's sort of strange because in some ways I feel like she has always been here and in other ways it feels like yesterday that my sister and I walked off the plane at the airport to find the best welcome home party ever.

If I think about it though, Dalaney has come a long way in the three plus months we have been home.  When we came home she was a tiny nine month old who was still wearing lots of 3-6 month size clothes.  This past Saturday Jeremiah dressed her in one of our favorite shirts that says little sister on the front, and to be quite honest it was so small that she sort of looked like a sausage in it - most definitely about to bust at the seams!  Now, most outfits that she wears are nine to twelve months, with a few six to nine months mixed in.  She is even taller than the other little girl at her sitter who turned one in May!
Here she is in a teeny tiny outfit the day after we came home. 
 This outfit is also too small now!


When we came home, Dalaney was doing a sort of wounded soldier crawl where she slithered on her belly and pushed off with her toes. She didn't move on to regular crawling for over a month.  Now, she walks short distances all by herself!

She goes from the couch to the love seat in the living room and when she gets there without chrashing she looks around at us like well, why aren't you clapping - clearly I am amazing!


This girl absolutely loves to read books!  She has a few favorites and she will dump her whole book basket out to find them and then drag them across the floor and put them in my lap so we can read.

As an English teacher this makes me very happy!

She is an incredibly happy baby - usually laughing and smiling as soon as I get her out of bed in the morning.  Recently she has started throwing her head back and belly laughing.  It is so stinking cute!


Dalaney is also starting to mock things that Jeremiah and I do or say.  Apparently, when I tell her no-no about something I point my finger at her and shake it, because now when I tell her no-no she points her little finger at me and shakes it. Right now that's pretty cute, but I have a feeling it might not be so cute in the future! 

Sometimes I wish that I could stop time so that Dalaney could be this age forever, because she is so stinking fun all the time.  And it seems like she is growing up so fast.  She's not a tiny baby anymore - she's a big girl who will soon be walking and talking up a storm.  

The thing that is the hardest to believe is that a little more than three months ago I found out that our paperwork had been forwarded to Nairobi and I cried like a baby because that meant another delay in bringing her home and no one could tell me how long that delay might be.  And now, she's sleeping right down the hall and I can go in and look at her, and touch her soft curls, and kiss her sweet face  anytime I want.

God is so good. 
Thank you Lord for this beautiful baby and the joy that she brings to our lives every day.
Happy thirteen months Dalaney!
We love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck.

  



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness.....I could eat her up! Love the pictures and updates :)

    ReplyDelete